KGNU seeks a Director of Development
KGNU Community Radio seeks a DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR to build a strong financial structure which will fuel our 2014-2018 Strategic Plans, as we forge into our 40th year. The Director of Development will report to the Station Manager and be expected to work collaboratively with staff, volunteers, and the Board of Directors in a team environment.
To download a PDF copy of this job description, click here. Please feel free to distribute this.
The ideal candidate for the Director of Development position must have a proven commitment and successful track record fundraising for non-profits, a passion for community radio and independent media and the ability to plan, execute, oversee and evaluate a diverse and dynamic fundraising strategy to bring KGNU strongly into the future.
The KGNU Development Director will provide overall direction, coordination, and implementation of the organizations fund-raising operations. This position may be required to supervise staff, consultants, and volunteers who work on fundraising and giving programs.
In collaboration with the Station Manager, the successful candidate will establish revenue and donation goals based on both short term goals and long range vision, as elucidated in the stations strategic plan.
The Development Director will implement and promote KGNUs mission through fundraising campaigns and meet or exceed budgeted annual income goals. The Director of Development is charged with the responsibility of organizing and managing activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of fundraising activities to successfully execute a fundraising program that will include but not be limited to: foundation grants, on-line giving campaigns, donor tracking, major donor gifts, annual and planned giving, and special events.
Core Duties include but are NOT limited to:
- Creating a diversified fundraising strategy, with assistance from the Station Manager.
- Facilitate an active fundraising role and establish goals for members of the Board of Directors.
- Assisting the Station Manager with identifying and developing opportunities for future growth.
- Identify future funding needs and development of a fundraising strategy to address these needs/issues.
- Identify opportunities for special fundraising campaigns; oversee and delegate tasks to implement them.
- Developing a grant writing plan including annual grant cycle calendar and setting goals that are trackable.
- Developing and submitting grant proposals to foundations, corporations and government agencies consistent with KGNUs mission.
- Implementing a comprehensive and robust major donor plan fully integrated with a Moves Management process.
- Soliciting and securing contributions through planned gifts (bequeath, trusts, donations of land or other real property, annuities, stocks).
- Creating, maintaining and cultivating fruitful relationships with businesses, organizations and foundations.
- Supervising KGNU Underwriting Managers, track sales and develop an underwriting schedule to increase revenues.
- Implementing a plan to secure business sponsorship for annual signature events and pledge drives.
- Soliciting in-kind donations from businesses and corporate matching grants.
- Documenting all fundraising activities and providing monthly comprehensive activity reports to the Station Manager and the Board of Directors.
- Working with staff members and committees to ensure that all fundraising is consistent with the overall mission, philosophy, and strategic plan of KGNU.
- Guiding the Development Committee in their role to assist in the fundraising action plans.
- Participate in Development, Budget, Events Committees and any other relevant committees.
- A minimum of four years experience as a successful fundraiser for a non-profit organization.
- Superb written, verbal and presentation skills with ability to communicate effectively
- Willing to make at least a two-year commitment.
- Ability to effectively function in a collaborative manner with staff, board, multiple committees and a diverse volunteer and donor community to create and maintain a harmonious work environment.
- Exceptional organizational, planning, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage and implement multiple projects, set deadlines, evaluates progress and ensure accountability.
- Proven success in fundraising, particularly in grant writing and major donor solicitation and cultivation.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and develop relationships with prospective donors, develop and manage budgets.
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends and travel occasionally as needed.
- Familiarity with marketing (both traditional and on-line), public relations, event management, and grant sourcing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Database management
- Knowledge and use of Internet Grant Portals.
- Online fundraising campaign experience (crowdsourcing, CRM)
- An innovative strategic thinker with demonstrated success in the creation and implementation of development plans and strategies
- Knowledge of current trends in the charitable giving in the areas of fundraising events, capital campaigns, major gifts or planned giving.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
- Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
- Independent Media, Community Radio and/or non-profit arts experience.
- Knowledge of Membership Management systems, ie MemSys, CiviCRM, Allegiance, SalesForce, DonorSnap, etc.
- High level computer database skills
- Established relationships with foundations, businesses and philanthropists in the Boulder/Denver Community
- Proficient marketing and fundraising experience with Social Media
KGNU is a 38-year-old non-profit, listener-supported community radio station. Launched in Boulder Colorado at 88.5 FM we expanded in 2004 to include Denver at 1390 AM. We now serve a potential listening audience of more than 2 million people. Combining eclectic and diverse music from around the corner and around the world, with news and public affairs programming produced locally, nationally and internationally, KGNU's mission is to provide a forum for marginalized and underrepresented voices, as well as broadcast news stories not likely to be heard in the mainstream media.
KGNU is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. KGNU is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity and environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. We encourage applications from all genders, people of color, and people with disabilities.
SALARY: This is a Full Time position based in Boulder, Colorado with office hours in both our Boulder and Denver offices. Salary is $44,000.00/yr with excellent medical benefits and a flexible & generous vacation policy.
READ CAREFULLY AS INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS CANNOT BE CONSIDERED:
Please submit your complete resume, two relevant contacts for professional recommendations and a maximum 3 page cover letter addressing:
How you are qualified to perform the core duties expected of the Development Director.
What your vision is for strengthening KGNU through development and fundraising by 2018.
How you heard about KGNU.
Where you heard about this job opportunity.
All applications should be emailed to the KGNU Development Director Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: FEBRUARY 25, 2016, 5 PM MT
THANK YOU FOR SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION. ALL APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL UPON SUBMISSION OF THEIR APPLICATION.
THE SEARCH COMMITTEE WILL CONTACT APPLICANTS CHOSEN FOR FIRST ROUND INTERVIEWS BY MARCH 4, 2016.
As KGNU receives a high volume of very competitive applications ONLY candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted. Please, no calls or emails to the station to inquire about your application unless you have been contacted by the search committee.
Created:02/04/16, Modified:02/15/16, expires:02/25/16, priority:2