KGNU is seeking a Music Director
KGNU Community Radio seeks a Music Director(s)
KGNU, a Boulder/Denver based 37 year old Mission Driven Community Radio seeks one exceptionally OR two amazingly talented, dynamic, creative, versatile, ambitious, and personable individual(s) to serve as KGNUs Music Director(s). This is a very demanding Full Time / Full Time Equivalent position(s) that serves under the general supervision of the Station Manager. The Music Director(s) is responsible for administering, coordinating, directing, developing and supervising all activities related to the KGNU Music Department.
As an eclectic, freeform, volunteer-programmed station, the individual(s) must be able to relate to a wide range of musical styles including but not limited to Americana, Bluegrass, Classic Country, Dub, Electronic, Funk, Gospel, Hip Hop, Indie Rock, Jazz, Latin, Modern Composition, Native American, Opera, Punk, Reggae, Ska, Unclassifiable, World, Yodeling, and Zydeco.
KGNUs Music Director will work directly with a diverse volunteer base and a large volunteer programmer/DJ base. The position(s) is based in Boulder, Colorado and includes coordinating work and attending to the Music Department needs between multiple studios in Boulder and Denver.
Core Duties include but are NOT limited to:
- Choosing, planning and developing music programs in cooperation with other staff and volunteers, with advice and approval from the Program Committee and Station Manager.
- Recruiting, training, coordinating, supervising music programmers & informing them of their legal responsibilities and on-air duties.
- Keeping required FCC records as needed
- Reporting on required charts and reports to music organizations, including CMJ and Sound Exchange.
- Maintaining top music charts
- Scheduling regular music programmers for all music programs
- Coordinating regular shift meetings with volunteer programmers, organizing shift captains to help coordinate and schedule.
- Monitoring on-air quality by establishing and implementing regular reviews of music programs.
- Developing training for on-air DJs to cultivate a diversely talented on-air volunteer DJ base.
- Initiating and maintaining contacts with musicians, music networks, record labels and distributors regarding music programs and to ensure that KGNU is receiving high-quality music.
- Coordination of music interviews and live performances
- Overseeing review of new music for our broadcast studio and music library.
- Maintaining and updating the music library.
- Implementing, organizing and expanding the digitalization of the KGNU music library
- Strategic development, creative collaboration, and content development for KGNUs all music AfterFM.com website project & music department.
- Ensuring proper on-air promotion for music programs.
- Working with Promotions Director to promote music programs in other media.
- Overseeing on-air fundraising efforts of music programmers.
- Working collaboratively with staff and volunteers, to obtain appropriate premiums and goals for all membership drives.
- Serving on Program Committee and other committees as designated by station manager.
- Overseeing and expanding remote music broadcasts, including live broadcast and streams from local music festivals and venues.
- Proven Commitment to Community Radio
- Understanding and known application of freeform programming philosophy
- Audio editing skills
- Office Suite/ Google Suite (calendar etc)
- Basic data base management
- Patience and tolerance
- Ability to lead a diverse group of music lovers
- Experience working and coordinating volunteers
- Excellent communicator and interpersonal skills
- Extremely talented radio DJ
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Demonstrated Training Skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Familiarity with and commitment to KGNUs Mission
- Knowledge of DMCA/Sound Exchange
- CMJ/Music Reporting
- Music Tracking
- Experience Communicating with Record Labels, Venues and Musicians
- Advanced Digital Audio Editing (Adobe Audition, Audacity, Cool Edit, Soundforge, etc)
- Automated DJ/Radio Software
- Basic Audio Engineering
- Bilingual English-Spanish
- Social Media (Twitter, Facebook)
- Understanding of FCC Regulations & Music Regulations in regards to Community Radio
- Experience with managing fundraising campaigns
- Ability to grow audience
- Previous experience coordinating live remote broadcasts
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING:
Please submit a cover letter, current up to date resume, three professional references and up to 3 links to interviews or features that you have conducted or produced and/or up to 3 links to archives of select shows for which you have been the DJ. In your cover letter please explain why you have chosen your submissions, how you are qualified for the position and what your vision is for the KGNU Music Department.
Please state clearly in your cover letter if you are applying for the Full Time position, a part time post or if you are open to either possibility. If you are applying for a part time post, please state which skills you most possess as relevant to the Core Duties/Responsibilities and how those will compliment the overall work, growth and coordination of the KGNU Music Department. If you are applying for a full time post please address how the exceptionally rounded skills and qualifications that you possess will help you lead the KGNU Music Department into a new era.
Cover Letters should be limited to 3 to 4 pages maximum.
KGNU is committed to diversity and inclusiveness. KGNU is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity and environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. We encourage applications from all genders, people of color, and people with disabilities.
Please submit applications to email@example.com or mail applications to KGNU Music Director Search Committee, 4700 Walnut St., Boulder, CO 80301. No phone calls please.
APPLICATION DEADLINE = MONDAY OCTOBER 5, 2015 at 5:00 PM Mountain Time
Click here to download a PDF of this job descroiption.
Created:09/14/15, Modified:10/05/15, expires:10/05/15, priority:3